NANTS is the umbrella umbrella body of traders in raw materials, industrial and finished goods (both locally made and imported) as well as small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Nigeria. However, in order to encourage/improve the interlink between production and (market access) distribution of goods, NANTS membership has recently been expanded to small scale manufacturers of items like shoes, garments, cosmetics, furniture, household goods and local material providers as well as small scale farmers in various agricultural produce. Women constitute about 65% of NANTS membership.
Promoting trade and economic development, championing the rights of entrepreneurs through strategic programmes and policy intervention’
Advancing trade beyond buying and selling to a vehicle for socio-economic justice, sustainable development and poverty reduction.
Who Are We?
• The National Association of Nigerian Traders (NANTS) is the Central umbrella organization of traders in raw materials, industrial and finished goods (locally made and imported) in Nigeria.
• NANTS membership has recently been expanded to include local manufacturers of certain items (such as shoes, garments, cosmetics, furniture, and household goods), local raw material providers, etc., as well as local farmers in various agriculture produce.
• Women constitute about 65% of NANTS membership.
• Founded in 1997 to centrally advocate for trade policy interventions as a voice for the ordinary Nigerian trader in government decision making process
• Started in Lagos but moved to Abuja where impact will be more meaningful and lobbying will be most effective
• NANTS has been in existence since 1997 – under the Military regime, but was legally registered as a ‘National’ organisation in 2001 with the entrance of civilian administration in Nigeria. NANTS Corporate Headquarters is based in Abuja.
• NANTS is a membership organisation which is made up three categories of membership, viz: unit members/affiliates, individual members and corporate members. At present, NANTS has about 152 market and producers associations as units under the umbrella
• Recognizes the roles of Local Market Associations: Does not get involved in Local Market/unit politics and dynamics but only accepts local market/unit associations as affiliates.
• So, NANTS is non-partisan; non-political